Monday, January 31, 2011

Ever wonder what it takes to make a change? Any change really, whether it be from a small detail to the very large variety. As it turns out, an awful lot! This was the epiphany I had yesterday while out on a long walk. 


Radical change. 


It starts with an idea. One Person. A someone out there questioning why something is the way it is, or has become, and deciding "no, something should change". Something could be different.  Then, they set out to make that difference happen. No problem right? In theory no, but then you begin to put the change in motion and what you find is a challenge like no other!


For every one person out there wanting to move to the beat of another drum, there are thousands of others who are set to remain as is. Maybe even fearful.  Why is that I wonder? I feel that everywhere I look, there are signs saying in one way of another "change is good". But if change is so good, why then are we so resistant when it tries to weasel its way into our lives? 


Over the years, moving about, I have watched as the ideals of community have morphed and changed. These days, we are more focused on our television sets, or our computers as a means to socialize and be with people, rather than to host get-togethers, or invite company over and visit. I think about this often. For me, this is a change that I cannot embrace.  My hope and passion in life is to build community. To return to those olden day norms where the kitchen table was the principal place for gatherings, hours whiled away over nourishing, hearty foods and drinks, while sharing in ideas, dreams, laughter and above all the company of others. Doesn't it seem strange being a part of a community is no longer an essential part of our day to day meanderings?


Since moving out here to Bozeman, my goal has been to bring people in. To make friends, put down roots, and to get the elemental foundations in place in order to make a community.  What I have found, is that this is no easy task. The idea around quality time is a commitment, like a steep hill, that few are willing to climb, merely for the sake of what might be found while reaching the top. The unknown. We are held back by what we don't know, and it can be scary. But sometimes, it is taking that small step into the void that will illuminate those unknowns into something far greater than what we could ever expect. Let us not be afraid of all those unknowns.  This is the change that I want to create. To rebuild communities wherever I go. To shed some light and company into our ever growing isolation.  Isn't it strange that the closer we move to our neighbours, the farther away we actually are? Do you know who you live beside? 


Looking at history and our past, it is clear that any sort of change takes a lot of work.  One needs to be persistent, patient, and not flow into the grain, but continue to push against it. To not lose heart when the road gets tough, instead continue to rise up!  


In November, I hosted my first soup party, an idea that came from a dear friend of mine. For one small idea, of serving soup, tons of people from all wakes and walks of life, gathered in one small apartment looking for the nourishment that comes from being with others. We arrived as strangers,  but with warm soup in our bellies, we departed as friends, as the light filled our beings for being able to join in something beyond the self. So powerful! Humans have the capacity to ignite the darkest of moments with a kind word and curiosity. As I held my first gathering, there was a small handful of folks who came, and what I realized that night is that these gatherings have nothing to do with how many people attend.  Sure, maybe it was a small, but the evening was delightful, with great company and small enough to allow for those meaningful conversations to take place. What is important is to relish and appreciate those who do come to visit, and to make the most of that time. 


 One thing that I hope to take with me, is to make sure that no matter what I am doing, I am doing it for the right reasons. What are my motivations, and what do I want to achieve from this? I want to know fully and understand what it is that I am hoping to create by doing something.  All the while, continuing to keep coming up with new ways and opportunities to design a welcoming community. One way in doing so, is by opening my home and my heart to those around me. 


Next week, I will host my second community gathering, and am looking forward to spending another evening filled with friends. Ingredients will be bought to cook something scrumptious, invitations will be passed out and Thursday will come to share the evening with those who I have gotten to know over the past few months. 


As I wrap this up, I would like to say how impressive it is to know there are all these radicals out there in the world, who are fighting for what they believe in.  Those who are stepping up, whether they be voicing their passions or silently making a difference. My hat goes off to them!  The 'how' doesn't so much matter, what is important, is that there are folks out there who are wanting to do more in the world than just sit idly by. As they say, Rome wasn't built in a day and neither is change. It takes time, courage and a strong person who is willing to keep going, no matter if they are supported or not. Isn't that incredible? What makes these people who they are? What makes us, the rest of the world so afraid of changes? Of being open? Of questioning or speaking up? And can we embrace those fears with grace while taking a step forward into the unknown?

1 comment:

  1. i think most people yearn for community, they may not know it though. i think a lot of depression is due to a lack of community and real connections with people and a lack of meaningful purpose in peoples lives. however, once you have felt real connections and been a part of some form of community (whether it is a weekly gathering of an intentional community where you live full time etc.)you realise the importance of it. then you are hooked! and you will seek it out and it will win over the great lazy complancency that plagues most of our culture these days. if you build it they will come. stay motivated fern.

    ReplyDelete