Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Onwards with the travels, the beginning

Good greetings from Newark!
Here I sit, utilizing what I hope is a free computer in the hotel.  My flight a few short hours away, with a giant adventure about to begin the moment I step foot into the airport. 
Truthfully, the magnitude of this trip hasn't quite hit me yet.  Feeling more like a deer caught in the headlights, wondering how the heck I am in Newark, NJ and what is it that I am about to embark upon? Where'd the time go? I feel like I have already been on a world tour, and it just keeps on trucking! Leaving Montana 2 months ago feels like a world away.  I can't even remember what goodies I have tucked away in my storage unit now. When I return it will be like Christmas, discovering treasures now forgotten.  Canada happened in a flash, treeplanting, friends and family visits.  Alll a treat, my hands have almost fully recovered from the absuse of tucking little trees into the ground, yet my toes and thumb remain numb but don't worry this is a normal occurance with planters.  No concerns necessary. With all hopes, small little forests are beginning to grow in northern Alberta. My final american adventure took me into the park of Yosemite in CA.  Yet another first, and what a beautiful area. Huge trees, mountains and waterfalls greets the eyes every which way.  I got the chance to see up close and personal the oh-so-famous El Cap climbing site. In a word: woah! My mind is blown to how folks even begin to plan out their routes, the rock is smooth granite with minimal (at best) holds and grips. Not for me, but I sure did enjoy watching the different groups of climbers work their magic....INCREDIBLE. Though maybe not braving the El Cap, I did get to try another heart racing activity appropriately entitled: the Swing.  What is this?  A long rope set up into the rock, that you can harness into, then run off a rock and swing out into the valley. Holy smokes, I though I might lose my lunch the first go around, but alas, no.  Instead what I found, was a freeing moment, something similar to what birds must experience on a daily basis.  There is something terrifying and yet beautiful about hovering out above the treetops, maybe one day I will have the words to follow this experience.  In short, it was that much fun, I had to go a second time. Fear of heights? Pshh...you ain't got nothing on me now. (Mabye I will give a gander at skydiving afterall....) For the first time, I got to see giant sequoia trees. Apparently the ones I saw were only small.....looks like another trip is in store to check out the giants! 
Now, I have said goodbye to the wilds, and am changing gears for a different type of wilderness. First the city of London, and then to set forth from Geneva, Switzerland on the camino trail, where millions of feet have come before mine, crossing through farms, villages, towns and even some small cities. What lies ahead is a great unknown, but I am looking forward to each day, where the lessons of the trail and of its people will bring new wisdom and understanding, where language will not always be english, and who knows what will greet me along the way. All I can say is that I am ready. I have two bags which will contain my life for the next seventy days.  ONce in London, I will say goodbye to one of those bags and about 2/3's of what I am bringing. Two bounce boxes will be sent out, containing exciting snacks, a fresh pair of socks, a pair of shoes and any other small resupply things such as toothpaste, sunscreen and lotion.  
As I get ready to go, I think about each of you.  The adventures you are having, the summer ahead, filled with plans, sunshine, gatherings.  THe beauty of summer! I hope the months ahead are amazing, that your gardens grow richwith food and flowers, that each experience brings something valuable for you to cherish and hold onto. Make the day yours everyday!
 
Until the next installment, be well!

No comments:

Post a Comment