Saturday, January 21, 2012

House of Muir

Saturday morning. Ahh the weekend! 'What, oh what to do with the day?' I sat wondering, while sipping on my morning tea. The last two days of rain were slowly letting up, and it seemed like a perfect day to go exploring. I decided to take a trip to Martinez, CA to visit the house of John Muir.
I am not sure what the heck I learnt in school, but the more I grow older, and tour around this country, the more I realize there are significant gaps of fascinating history and people who never made it into my education. What on earth did they teach me in school? John Muir and the many national parks certainly were not subjects covered in any of my classes. The only thing I can recall from my school days, is the endless teachings about WWI and WWII, which though heavy and significant to know about, has also left me with giant voids of information. But I won't dwell, for surely the knowledge of trench foot and mustard gas will be helpful in my future no?! 
Admittedly, if you were to ask me a year ago, who John Muir was, I would probably shrug and reply "I think he is someone who makes stickers of trees."  Yosemite? "A vague concept of a place in the west, envisioned as an overpopulated RV/Car campground."  I kid you not. Sad isn't it? But that all changed last summer, when I had the sweet priviledge to see Yosemite first hand, spending several days exploring the different areas, peaks, views and venture off the beaten path to really see and absorb the beauty and heart of this National Park. In the fall, again, my eyes and feet were given a treat as I hiked a portion of the John Muir trail. In all my life, I have never set foot in a more incredible and enchanted place.  Everywhere I looked, was one captivating moment after the next. I could spend weeks, months or an entire lifetime in that land and feel as though I were seeing it all for the very first time. And all of this was all thanks to one man. Who, I wondered time after time, was this John Muir? Tid-bits began to seep in about his life, passion and tireless work to preserve some of the natural beauty of this country. And from there the learning has begun!
Since my time on the trail and visit to Yosemite, my interest in the area and the man has grown. I have come to look and appreciate all wild areas with a new eye. Recently, I've been watching Ken Burns series: National Parks; America's Best Idea.  This documentary in itself is inspirational, taking the viewer from one park to the next, giving context, history and accounts of early visitors and their tireless struggle to save these wild places. It moves my heart.

Simultaneously, I picked up a book by Donald Worster entitled, A Passion for Nature: The Life of John Muir.  It follows Muir from a child in Scotland through his life in America and has begun to unravel the man behind the legend. I am enrapt, and find myself being pulled out to the wilds, desiring to explore and filled with a great curiosity to understand how I am connected to the natural world around me. Once read, I will begin to read Muir's own works. 
So today, with Muir swirling in my mind and thoughts, I decided the days adventure should be to explore Muirs home in Martinez, where he lived with his wife and two daughters, tending his father-in-laws orchards, and where he would write the majority of his books. Though after Muir had died, and many other owners lived in the house prior to the Parks Service scooping it up to turn into a historical site, the house continues to stand as it used to. The rooms have changed over the years and the furniture not original to the house, the site paints a picture of what times looked like during Muir's time. The grounds, once lush and large, have now been whittled down to a small section, with a small orchard of plums, apples, apricots, peaches, oranges and cherry trees still remaining. Surrounding the homestead, is highway and suburbs.  It is a reminder as to how much time has changed. But still, as one walks through the house and grounds, it is easy to get a sense of Muir's life, his restlessness for the Sierras, and the inspiration that drove him to fight for his beloved Yosemite. 
Headed home, after visiting the house, I grew silent in thought, absorbing the experience. A dawning was about to occur. If you love something, or have an interest in something, than it doesn't matter where you are, what you are doing, or how it is done, it is your inspiration and desire alone that sets you in motion, to learn, to fight, to experience and to seek out those passions. That is how we grow.  Not everywhere we go in life, will we find teachers. Sometimes, it is us that must become our own teacher, our own motivator.  This is a lesson I have been trying to grasp and understand here at the farm. Being a teacher doesn't mean that you have to know it all. To me, it means that your mind is open to learn, and all it takes is for that first step to set your course. This is the school of life. And today, I think I've just become both student and faculty.

No comments:

Post a Comment