Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Washington Baby!!! Bring on the mountains. Bring on the miles.

Map of PCT WA- www.wildernestravels.co.uk
 I am so excited to share my adventure for 2012!!! These plans have been in the works for so many months now, trying to figure out the amount of time I have to play with and where I should go. This year my feet will take me out to Washington to wind down the summer and welcome the fall along the Pacific Crest Trail in conjunction with the Wonderland Trail.  Now, this may be me asking the weather gods to spare a few days of sunshine as I take on an infamously fickle area known for its rain, but hell soggy feet is nothing new to this little lady!  How I have never come to explore Washington in all my years of traveling is beyond my scope, but this is the year, and couldn't think of a better way of experiencing this area than by foot!

Wonderland route- www.nps.gov
My journey begins along the Oregon/Washington Border  at the Bridge of the Gods on the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) starting early September. Hiking northwards, I will traverse the first few hundred miles along the PCT, before reaching a junction that will take me westwards to connect up to the grueling 93 mile terrain of the Wonderland Trail which circumnavigates Mount Rainier. The Wonderland is said to be a butt-kicker, with 22, 000 feet in elevation gain, I'm looking forward to the challenge.  On average, it is said that it takes about 10-14 days to complete this trail in its entirety, my hope should my body and feet arise to the challenge is to complete it in 6-8 days.  A daring feat. This will be the hardest section of trail for me, but also one of which I relish with great anticipation. Once completed, I will relink with the PCT, continuing northwards until arriving in Manning Park in beautiful British Columbia. This journey from start to finish will be about 650 miles with the anticipation of completion in 35 days. As I set about planning, there's much to learn.  Resupplies and bounce boxes, where to get water, permits for the parks and trails, route planning through Wonderland, bear and other creature ninja strategies, food plans, gear needs with the feather light in mind, raincoat power vs garbage bag, maps maps and more maps, comforting the nerves of my mother...oh yes there is much yet to cover. But this is the most exciting part (said with hands being rubbed together complete with mischievous smile) it's gonna be good. Real. Good.
This is just the beginning!

No comments:

Post a Comment