Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Camino: refined and from the heart

The Expedition:
Where: Geneva, Switzerland – La Finesterre, Spain
Distance: ~1,200mi/1930km
Dates of Trip: June 15, 2011 – August 24, 2011
Duration on trail: ~55 days 
Anticipated average miles/km per day: ~22mi/35.4km
Highest pass/elevation: ~4947ft/1508m

I first came across the Camino in 2004, while on an adventure across Europe. On a whim, my traveling companion and I decided to purchase tickets to wherever the next train was going. The destination: Santiago de Compostela. As we railed across the country, I remember looking out the window, mesmerized by the changing landscape, and longing to know what it was like to be out there instead of on a train. It wasn't until arriving in Santiago, that I heard about the trail. I knew then that I would walk it. Rolling into fall 2010, I began to plan my coming year. The time and opportunity was there to put together an expedition and I was ready. The pieces started to fall into place, starting with a tree planting contract in northern Alberta. With four years of planting experience, this gig promised the finances in which I could make my plans possible.

On June 20th, I will set out on a 1200 mile solo trek across the Camino de Santiago. Starting in Geneva, Switzerland I will travel west through southern France, crossing the Pyrenees before continuing on through Spain. In Santiago, I present my credential (pilgrims passport) as a way to mark my completion of the Camino. My journey, however does not end for another three days as I will proceed past Santiago to Fisterra, Spain -known as the 'end of the world'. Here I shall dip my toes into the Atlantic, do a little dance and watch the sun set upon the ocean's horizon, celebrating the completion of the trail.

This will be my first long-distance hike, as well as the initial stepping stone for more to come. I am eager to set out, with the world in front of me, feet connected to earth, and the horizons endless. It is my hope to learn and grow, allowing nature to teach me her lessons while building confidence within myself so that I may better realize who I am.

The nature of this trip is three-fold:
  1. Environmental stewardship: Learning the lessons that both earth and trail teach, through knowledge of place and the rigors of the elements. Living lightly, walking gently and nurturing a sense of wonder for the natural world while being conscientious of my actions. Gaining invaluable knowledge of place.
  2. The way of ultralight long-distance hiking: Hitting the trail prepared by researching equipment, towns/resupply areas and the trail itself. Minimizing what I am carrying to that of which I will truly need. Read stories, contact people who have hiked long distance or have already done the trail; knowing what to expect before setting out.
  3. Self-discovery: Unearthing my own individuality. Fostering an undefeatable spirit in the face of hardships or challenges that are presented along the trail. Building confidence within myself, drawing forth my spirit and curiosity for life and community.
Preparation:
Physical preparation will not vary much from my regular day to day, perhaps only increasing distance. I prefer walking over driving and I run +3mi/4.83km 2-3 times weekly, focusing on keeping my heart strong and energy up. In May, I will spend a month working near Grand Prairie, Alberta, with Little Smokey Forestry Services, as a tree planter. With the weight of the trees, long days and the ruggedness of the land, I will be put to the test for both physical and mental strength.

For environmental preparation, extensive research continues to happen, learning the history and landscape of the trail. Understanding it's background, is not only interesting/inspirational, but also essential to know what to expect before getting out there. I have been in touch with several hikers, who have done the Camino as well as getting the opportunity to speak with a few ultralight long-distance hikers, whose guidance has been vital. I am fluent in french and am teaching myself spanish for this adventure. As this will be my first unaccompanied, lightweight, long-distance hiking expedition, I continue to research all I can, preparing for the challenges ahead. Similar to planning an OB adventure I have been working on the logistics for this undertaking and already have a calendar written for daily events, connections, and contingency plans.

Though there is much work that goes into planning an expedition, I am eager to put in the effort, not only to set myself up for success, but also because the payoff for all these preparations is going to be well worth it. I have a plan and goals, I know where I am going, why I am doing it, and what it is I am doing. I have tremendous encouragement and support from friends and family for my adventure.

Budget:
Expenses per day on trail: 10€/ $14 USD/ $13.6CDN/ 8.8£ ->this will include both food and lodging. Following the entire route, are pilgrim hostels known as albergues or refugios that are either free or by donation for those who hold a pilgrims passport. Each hostel is supplied with a full kitchen, in which I will prepare the majority of my foods as my dietary needs are a little tricky, being vegetarian and having a gluten intolerance. Though I will be passing through towns each day, I intend to pack two days worth of food, to save on cost and for convenience.

Travel cost:
Airline round-trip from NYC to London: $765 USD flying Iceland Express
Transportation expenses in Europe: ~100 €/ $135CDN/ $140USD ->once in Europe, transportation is relatively cost effective, and quite easy to get around. I will be looking into both inexpensive airlines, ferries, trains and the bus system for getting to and from my start/end destinations. Once on the trail, no transportation shall be required, just my two feet to get me from place to place.
Pre/post trail lodgings: Anticipated costs none. Logistics with family and friends in Europe and North America already in place.
Pre/post trail food: ~50€/ $70 USD/CDN

Gear, clothing and Equipment:
Due to my background of being both an Outward Bound instructor and my years as a tree planter, much of the gear I already own will be put to the ultimate test. Some will be replaced, as it is geared towards colder climates (ie. a -30C sleeping bag may be overkill), or upgrading to a lighter expedition weight. My goal is to travel lightly, with my pack weighing about 10-12 Lbs excluding food and water. The Camino is unique in that there are so many towns and villages, giving easier access to things I may need along the way.
The majority of the expenses for this trip will be coming directly from me. I have been saving and planning for this adventure during the past year.
Total budget for trip (not including flight): ~$1,200 CDN/USD

Photography:
For this trip, I will be using a Canon S90 camera. My family and post-secondary educational background includes training in both art and photography. 

No comments:

Post a Comment