Saturday, April 16, 2011

Sprouting

There comes a time in the winter, where I begin to crave fresh food.  Not like the sort-of fresh foods from the grocery store. We all know, it came from many miles away.  As March rolled in, it was time to do something, garden season was just around the corner, and though I won't be in a place to sow any seeds, I decided I could at least grow some food inside. So, I bought some sprout seeds. Actually, truth be told, I bought these seeds in January, hoping that somehow the knowledge of growing sprouts would just somehow filter into my mind naturally. Somedays, I forget that researching is a possibility. Call me stubborn, it's alright, I'm aware of this quality. I've lived with it for some time.
Where was I now? Oh yes...it took me awhile to get the sprouts underway, but when it's time for something fresh and homegrown, there's no stopping me. I finally hit the books...or rather in this case the internet search engine and went to work. Let me just preface this by saying that growing sprouts is not as daunting as I was making it out to be. In fact, I am surprised that more people don't grow sprouts, because it's fast, convenient and you get a fresh healthy snack. Albeit, the endless warnings of contaminated seeds is a little off putting, and leaves a person wondering "gee, are my seeds good ones or bad?" but I think there is a time when safety concerns need to be put at bay...how else are we ever going to accomplish or do anything? Honestly. If you wash yours seeds thoroughly, and you can even do a flash heat, then it will take care of this little hiccup.

Grow sprouts.  They're so refreshing, great on sandwiches, great on salads, great on you...or rather in you.
Here is how you too, can make some sprouts:

First, got buy some sprout seeds.  You can find them in the bulk section of your grocery store, order them online, buy seed packets, or....if you've got dried beans/lentils then you can make sprouts.

What are sprouts...you wonder? Dormant seeds. Add some water, and those seeds come to life. Incredible...no?

Step one: Wash your seeds real well. Get a jar, add the seeds, add some warm H2O and do a little shake and dance. Sprouts like to dance, little known fact. Rinse and repeat, 3-4 times.

Step two: In a mason jar, add your freshly washed seeds in jar, along with water, to cover all seeds. This is what is going to hydrate the seeds, waking them up from dormancy. You are going to want to let your seeds breath. Get yourself some cheese cloth or even some panty hose, put over mouth of your jar, and seal it with your jar ring.  Set in a dark place for 24 hours, the closet is a good place. Or a cupboard if you are feeling a little leary of growing sprouts next to your unmentionables.

Step three: (you do not need to remove cloth/ring combo) drain the water from the jar.  Rinse with cool water several times.  This is the key to getting great sprouts. You want to keep the seeds moist, but not sitting in a pool of water.  Be sure to rinse twice a day, because this will keep the seeds moist AND fresh. Stagnant moisture is no bueno!  Return them to a cool dark spot.  You will want to rinse the seeds twice a day. Keep this up for a couple days, rinsing with fresh water, until the seeds begin to sprout.  Then, once they are looking good, the sprouts growing long, they'll be pretty white/pale looking.  Put them in a sunny windowsill for a day (don't forget to rinse still) and they will absorb some chlorophyll and turn a beautiful green.  They're now ready for eating.  Rinse them one last time, remove from jar and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment