Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Here we go!

Two days ago, I bid my adieus to Bozeman.  All 't's' crossed, all 'i's' dotted.
My little car, somehow loaded.  Of course with the start of any adventure comes the night before, when time is spent with good friends. I was lucky to have four wonderful girls, each of us on the cusp of transition, ready to head out into the world on our own amazing adventures. I couldn't have asked for a better way to end my time in Bozeman. Surrounded by the people I love, nourished by good home cooking, and a night whiled away by laughter, fortune telling, stories and the honourary slumber party sleep-over.  What more could a person ask for?
Sunday morning, Easter. Though there were no egg hunts to be had, long good-byes were made. Already, I have a nice little list of postcard writing to do....and that will only grow by day. In the late morning, I hopped into my car, and set forth along the highway.  First destination on the adventure plan? Butte, Montana, where I spent a lovely afternoon brunch with my dear friend Megan and her beautiful family. No dull moment here, as the house was a flurry of family and friends. The afternoon took me on a nice walk along an old railroad line, long since out of use though a few reminders of the line remain.  The trail continued to wind, and had my first real experience of what it will be like in a few short months, along the Camino. Only the trail ahead, with a vast landscape all around. I am ready.
Monday, under a blue sky, the road beckoned, heading further north to Missoula, to visit my good friend Bridget. The need for a post office and grocery store took me to exploring the area, not getting lost per say, but definitely not easily finding my way about. Sometimes I find it is the best way to see a place, get off the main roads and meander about. Though the visit was brief, I thoroughly enjoy my time here, sharing crazy dreams while trying to interpret the meanings behind the symbols.  Our conversations, always flowing and drifting from one thought to the next. Outside, life has begun to return. Buds pushing out the fresh green leaves, small spring flowers greeting you along the sidewalk, birds singing a merry tune up along a branch in the trees. The joy that a little colour can bring!
Now, my feet find me in Calgary.  I was greeted at the border by a herd of mountain sheep. Of course, this required me to stop in the middle of the road to snap a few photographs, before being called up to the window. Sometimes, I too am the car seat tourist. Guilty! The crossing went smoothly, something that always brings an extra jilt to my heart.  This time, they were very focused on if I was bringing in any protection such as mace, bear spray, pepper bottle, gun, knife....he rattled off quite the list, and of course, though I had none, couldn't help but to smile my nervously amused smile.
The drive through the rocky mountains is incredible. On either side of the highway, towers the mountains, the view ahead reavealing more snow capped peaks.  The mountains. So strong and full of wisdom, greeting each traveler like an old friend. Or perhaps it is I who greets the mountains.
The drive was smooth and peaceful, catching up on new music I have long since wanted to hear. Though an 8 hour trip from Missoula, the time quickly passed. It seems like everytime I visit Calgary, it doubles in size. The sprawl that pushes outwards is crazy and overwhelming. It stirs up a lot of feelings, an uncomfortable uneasiness that brings about the fierce environmentalist  and aesthetic designer from within. But this is not the time to stand on my soapbox. I'll save that rant for another day.
It's been awhile since I have been in a city, and definitely felt a little out of place. My evening propelled me and my friend Jessye into the downtown scene, to play punk bingo. After living in a ski town community to now being surrounded by hipsters and trendsters, certainly was feeling a trifle shell-shocked. All of a sudden, I became very aware that my hiking boot/ colourful clothing ensemble revealed the truth: I am no city dweller. Those hipster days of mine put on the back-burner, with the wind in my hair and the road at my fingertips. Ho hum...that's the nature of passing through, you acquire the look of a wanderer.
It's hard to believe I am here already.  In a week, my job begins, and once again am propelled into a world of long days with only the land and my trees to keep me company.  Life is about to get very simple. Eat. Sleep. Plant. In the meantime, I am looking forward to the great visits with friends, family, and my dad, who is en route as I type. Future forecast: a trip to Banff for some awesome exploration and maybe even make it out to see some glaciers, thrifting, more gluten free baking (maybe even round three on the pizza dough attempt...), and hanging out with a cute little babe (and her oh-so-awesome parents!).
Now, to focus on warm thoughts for the ground to thaw in Hinton, get some exercise/yoga in for good measure, and begin shifting thoughts for the month of planting ahead. It certainly is a different state of mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment